Where Austen cooks some modern tomes so they taste like her own.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Hunger Games vs. Austen

The Hunger Games vs. Austen


The original
The roof is not lit at night, but as soon as my bare feet reach its tiled surface I see his silhouette, black against the lights that shine endlessly in the Capitol.  There's quite a commotion going on down in the streets, music and singing and car horns, none of ehich I could hear through the thick glass window panels in my room.  I could slip away now, without him noticing me; he wouldn't hear me over the din.  But the night air's so sweet, I can't bear returning to that stuffy cage of a room.  And what difference does it make?  Whether we speak or not?

 My feet move soundlessly across the tiles.  I'm only a yard behind him when I say, "You should be getting some sleep."

He starts but doesn't turn.  I can see him give his head a slight shake.  "I didn't want to miss the party.  It's for us, after all."

I come up beside him and lean over the edge of the rail.  The wide streets are full of dancing people.  I squint to make out their tiny figures in more detail.  "Are they in costume?"

"Who could tell?" Peeta answers.  "With all the crazy clothes they wear here.  Couldn't sleep either?"

"Couldn't turn my mind off," I say.

"Thinking of your family?" he asks.

"No," I admit a bit guiltily.  "All I can do is wonder about tomorrow.  Which is pointless, of course."

Collins, Suzanne, The Hunger Games, Scholastic Inc., 2008, p.148


After 20 minutes in the Austen Oven:
The roof was not lit at night, but Katniss could see Mr Everdeen standing against the dying remainder of the sun's rays, watching the commotion of the singing parties, and the crush of carriages, in the street below.  She considered slipping back to her room, as surely he would not notice her above the din; but her room seemed to her to be shut away and without any interest, and if they did have to speak to each other, surely it would not signify.  "Why, Mr Mellark, you should be resting now," she said.  Peeta started but he did not turn around to face her.  "I did not wish to miss the party," he replied.  "It is for us, after all."

Katniss approached the window and saw the dancing throngs for herself.  "Are they in costumes, Mr Mellark?  Can you tell?" 

"I cannot say.  I am not well enough acquainted with this place.  Could you not sleep either, Miss Everdeen?"

"I could not."

"Is it you family that keeps you?"


"No," Katniss answered with some embarrassment. "I can't help wondering about the morrow. Which does not help, I know."


Ophelia, The Austen Oven, 2012


Katniss was bewildered by her emotion; and felt that she must not let Mr Everdeen know.

No comments:

Post a Comment